East Weymouth, Massachusetts

I am absolutely disgusted with these people. I am moving and have a houseful of new (under 3 years old) furniture that is in pristine condition. Cannot take with me because I am downsizing to smaller house.

After 3 week wait, driver shows up, takes pictures, sends to his boss and proceeds to tell me that EVERYTHING has been rejected. Salvation Army, it is your loss. I will never give you another penny. I will also share my experience with everyone I know so that you do not profit from them either.

Furniture is now being donated to a homeless shelter that is thrilled to receive a houseful of new furniture.

Don't waste your time with this organization! There are far more worthy and reputable places to donate your things to!

This person wrote the review because of poor customer service at Salvation Army. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Salvation Army to "i want nothing from this scam organization. i will happily walk by your bell ringers at christmas without an ounce of guilt".

Also, this reviewer considered the following companies: Good Will Industries Thrift Store or Thrift Town. We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Salvation Army and salvation army customer care for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada #1241090

What you people do not understand is that any item donated has to be resold and that money goes toward all the helping programs the SA has basically if the item cannot be resold it would have to be disposed of and disposing of that stuff is not free so instead of the money going towards helping people that need it it now has to be used to dispose of stuff that will not sell

^^^ This is a great answer that really sums up the pick up service.

As for the rest of you, on the other side of the coin, yes let's remind people that they are poor considering all they can afford is the *** stained and hair filled couches you choose to donate when you downsize or get something new?!

Heaven forbid that they might want something a bit newer, a bit nicer condition, near pristine to feel a bit of self worth. Let's face it.. half the people that donate to SA truck service do NOT do it out of the complete kindness of their hearts.. so while I don't think beggars can really be choosers, I do think the less fortunate have a bit of room to be picky or have the right to desire something nice.

So..get the heck over it, you smug jerks.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #1219673

I just had an identical experience from the rude people at the Chicago Heights, IL office.

I have donated money and goods to the Salvation Army over the years and this is the first time I ever donated furniture.Although the furniture was 20 years old, it was in very good condition, with the exception of a couple of stains on the fabric, which can be cleaned or covered, if desired.

It was heavy-duty Sears reclining furniture (sofa, loveseat and chair).

No one informed me, when I scheduled the pickup of my furniture, that if there is even one stain, or any pet hair, God forbid, that the furniture would be rejected.

When the drivers arrived, one was an old codger of a man, they walked in and right away found a stain on the arm of the loveseat and a stain on one cushion of the couch, the chair had no stains as it was barely ever used. The old codger took pictures and said he could not take the furniture. I had also scheduled the delivery of my new furniture and couldn't believe they wouldn't take it. I asked why I wasn't informed of these regulations beforehand and he said that just over the weekend they had a meeting where furniture would not be accepted if there was even one stain on it.

I asked them to give me an hour and I would clean everything up. He just said no and proceeded to walk towards the door. I pleaded with them to at least help me get the furniture outside and he again said no, he had a route to run and walked out the door. His younger co-worker stayed behind a moment and said how sorry he was, and that he understood what a predicament they left me in.

I called the Chicago Heights office and just because I was upset, the person hung up on me.

I called again and spoke to someone else and explained that they needed to inform people who are nice enough to donate stuff to them, any policy restrictions they have, so people don't waste their time and effort to give them things.

At this point, I am not planning to ever give to them again.

Not even at Christmas time.I feel bad about it, but until I get over this experience, they are boycotted!!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States #1217890

Elgin, Illinois, United States #1214019

I had the same experience. They came and cherry picked what they wanted. After that happened, I felt like the SA is turning more "corporate" and now wonder where the furniture and money really goes?!?!